Sunday, December 1, 2013

Liz Meets London

Today is December 1st and almost every weekend of November I spent traveling. It was hectic and crazy but also wonderful and exciting. My weeks were short. I went to class Monday through Wednesday then jetted off Thursday through Sunday. My first adventure was to London, England.

Alex and I were the only ones to venture to London. She had a friend from her home university studying abroad in London, so we met up with him and her two friends from home studying in Prague and one from outside Belfast all meet in London. Together the five of us explored the beautiful and exciting city of London. The first adventure Alex and I encountered was actually trying to make it to London. Our flight was at 6:35am on Thursday morning, so the night before we called a cab to pick us up at 4:30am. We made it to the airport and met her friend Matt, the one from outside Belfast, because he was taking an earlier flight but from the same airport. We landed at the Gatwick airport, which we learned none of the airports are actually in London. They are all about 30-40 minutes away from the city centre. So from the airport we needed to take a train or bus to the London city centre. We decided on a train because it was faster. We tried at the self-ticketing machines but we couldn't figure out which type of ticket we needed, so we got into another line for the information desk. The information desk guy told us the platform number and another line to buy the ticket. We get into the line, make it to the front, and he tells us it's actually another line. We finally think we're in the right line and just want to buy a ticket. That's when we met this really nice girl studying in Berlin but visiting London for a job interview. We tell her about the trouble we've gone through and she told us at least we didn't lose our luggage. Apparently the airline lost her luggage and she has an interview that day with nothing to wear but her travel clothes. After all of us getting our tickets, we go down to the platform to finally board the train. We're riding along, waiting for our stop, when the train comes to an end. They tell us we have to get off because the train doesn't go any farther but we know we're definitely not at our stop. Confused, tired, and frustrated, we ask another information desk what we need to do. They have us buy another ticket and get on another train. After an absolute mess of transportation we finally make it to London city centre and the train station where we're suppose to meet Alex's friends. To our surprise, they are not there. I'm ready to fall to the ground and give up on London at this point. But we gather ourselves, find the nearest Starbucks with free wifi and Alex gives them a call. 

I'm going to skip parts in the middle because it's basically us trying to locate her friends, getting on more trains, walking the wrong directions, and more non exciting things. I will mention that we got day passes for the underground trains (tube), buses, and trains for 8 pounds per day, which was an amazing deal. Probably the best decision we made in London was getting passes for the tube. It's definitely the best way to travel in London and gets you from one place to another in minutes. It's also pretty easy to understand (and coming from me- that means a lot), so navigating to where to want to go is a breeze. The tube was strangely one of my favorite parts of London. I honestly believe it is the best and most efficient transportation system in the world (at least from the ones I've seen). 

So we finally meet up with her friends and head back to her friend Ciaran's flat, the one studying in London. We chill out there for awhile and meet his housemates. Most of them are Brazilian and one from China (if I recall correctly). They were fun and friendly and it seemed like a great environment to live in. I was exhausted, hungry, thirsty, and was afraid I wasn't making the best of first impressions since I was practically a zombie. Alex and I decided we needed to find our hostel, shower, and relax for a little bit. So we decided to meet up with them that night for the Ice Bar. Alex and I headed back for the tube to find our way home. It was about now when we realized just how far our hostel was from Ciaran's flat. He lived in cool East London while our hostel resided in South London. After walking what seemed like hours, we came upon our hostel. It was actually really cool, clean, and cheap but probably because it was so far from the city centre. We checked in, fell to our beds and didn't move. 

Later we showered and got ready for the Ice Bar. We still hadn't eaten anything, so on our way to the tube again we stopped at Tesco to buy sandwiches and chips. My egg and onion sandwich wasn't the best and I mysteriously lost my chips in the way. Regardless we were off to the Ice Bar. The Ice Bar was actually really cool. The entire room was filled of ice. The walls, tables, cups, bar, signs, everything. We got a drink with our ticket and a big jacket to go over us. It was 16 pounds, which was pretty expensive. It was a cool experience but maybe a bit of a tourist trap. Regardless it was fun and made for some cool pictures! (pictures to come)

After the Ice Bar we went for drinks in a pub. We talked, Ciaran spilled his beer, and then decided to take it easy for the night and go back to his flat. We drank a bit more, chilled out, and had a good night.

The next day we did a bit more tourist things. We met her friends at the city centre. As soon as we got off the tube, it really felt like London. Immediately we saw Big Ben, the Parliament building, and the London eye. The city was magnificent. It had a certain hustle and bustle to it which made it very exciting. I can still remember how it shines in the light of the sun setting. Everything so big and magical. We went to the British Museum but didn't have much time before it closed. So we walked around for a bit, saw the Rosetta Stone, and grabbed a bite to eat. I had half a salad because museum food is terrible. We then went back across town to take the London eye at night. While kind of expensive again, it was a gorgeous view and a cool experience. 







































After the London eye, we walked around the Christmas markets then headed back to Ciaran's flat. We decided to pre-drink there, which we certainly did. Since his birthday was in a few days, his housemates threw him a mini birthday party with decorations and a cake and everything. It was very sweet of them and we all celebrated. Later we finally made it out of his flat and to a club called Koko. It was a really cool place with live music, a dance floor, and many other levels. We met some cool people and had a really good time. After leaving the club and trying to head home, somehow it took us two hours. We kept getting on one bus, then off, walking for a bit, looking at maps, on another bus, off again, and just repeating this process for two hours. I obviously didn't know where we were going nor did I notice it was taking such a long time. We just kept meeting people along the way, like these two American girls studying in London, on a bus. It was an adventure but finally we made it back and it was then that I noticed how long it took us to get home. 

The next day we didn't feel quite our best, so we had a slow start in the morning. We met the guys at Abbey Road for the obligatory Abbey Road picture. We walked around the city a bit, going from antique shops, to interesting side streets. We were all hungry, so we stopped in at a place called The Comedy Pub. I had the best vegetarian chili and rice. Afterward, we went to see the London Bridge at night and it was magnificent. Absolutely gorgeous!



We went back to the flat and relaxed for a bit but then decided to call it an early night. We had gone a bit crazy the past few nights, so Alex and I headed for the hostel one last time. On our way, Alex really had to pee and we were both hungry, so we stopped at this falafel side street food shop. The extremely nice man let us use their creepy back room toilet and then I got the most amazing falafel sandwich on Earth. Alex and I sat on the wall outside the side of the shop, demolishing our food, not caring a bit at who walked by staring. This was actually one of my favorite moments of London. Just slowing everything down, enjoying our food, looking out on the wonderful city of London. 

The next morning we got up early to head to the train station to take us to the airport. We made it to our flight and headed for home. As the taxi driver drove us from Belfast airport to Cavendish Street, I couldn't help but think how strange it was to feel so at home in Belfast. I had only been gone four days but I was ready to come home to my girls. 

It was quite funny when we arrived actually. Alex and I walked in and could hear Jenny and Anja talking upstairs so we called "hello" to them. We expected a warm welcome because we had really missed them and assumed they missed us too. All we got back was a simple "hello" and then they continued talking. I was shocked. Alex and I looked at each other like what is going on? So we called again... "um hello, we missed you guy!" Then we got the screams and the running downstairs to be greeted with hugs and questions about our trip. Apparently they thought Alex and I were Alicia and her friend because they didn't expect us home so early. But it was wonderful when they finally realized it was us and we were all so happy to see each other. I feel like I end every blog like this but I just love my housemates and friends I've made here so much. They are the reason I love this experience so much. Yes I could go to London, Paris, Rome, anywhere in the world- but spending it with the people I love is what makes it so special. 






No comments:

Post a Comment